Motor Vehicle Department
The Iowa Department of Transportation, in cooperation with Iowa's 99 county treasurers, has implemented a 10-year license plate replacement cycle. The Iowa DOT is implementing a new license plate design; the design of the replacement plates will be the same as the currently issue plates.
Rather than replacing all Iowa plates in one year, as has been done in the past, the Iowa DOT is implementing a “rolling” replacement cycle replacing ONLY those plates that have reached an age that is beyond the usual lifespan for a plate. License plate replacement will occur at the time of annual registration. This process will replace plates that are too old, without wasting money by replacing plates that are not.
You may return your old plates to our office for recycling, however this is not required.
Motor Vehicles Renewals May Now Be Done Online at http://www.iowatreasurers.org
You are not eligible to renew online unless you received a renewal notice through the US Postal Service that contains a PIN number for online renewals. Apportioned vehicles are not eligible for online renewal.
|Iowa State County
| Many forms used in the Tax, Motor Vehicle, and Driver License Departments may be accessed and printed at this website. You may also pay property taxes online. Click on the link to the left and follow the instructions. Payments may be made with Discover, MasterCard, Visa and by e-Check. Click on the ISCTA logo at the left for answers to commonly asked questions.|
The Motor Vehicle Department handles the following responsibilities:
- Issues the following:
- Vehicle titles - all types of vehicles - cars, trucks, trailers, motorcycles, truck-tractors, and semi-trailers
- Registration renewals
- Personalized and other special license plates
- Replacement titles
- Junking certificates
- Salvage Titles
- Stores vehicles
- Notates and releases security interests
- Collects use tax, registration, and document fees
- Processes credits and refunds of vehicles transferred
- Serves as an agent of the Iowa Department of Transportation and Department of Revenue and Finance
- Prepares monthly reports
- Submits accurate financial records for annual audit
Motor Vehicle Registration
- Renewal notices are sent the month prior to the registration month.
- License plates may be renewed in the month prior, the month of registration, or the month following to avoid penalty.
- Trucks and Truck-Tractors registered at 6 tons or above are registered on a calendar year basis.
- If renewed by mail, add $0.50 per vehicle for postage fee.
- Penalty of 5% per month or a minimum of $5.00 will begin after the one-month grace period following the expiration date on your registration fees.
- A replacement title may be issued if a title is lost, destroyed, or altered. A $25.00 fee and a 5-day waiting period are required. The owner(s) on the current title must sign the application form, or if a lien is noted, the lien holder must sign.
- Refunds on the unexpired portion of license fees may be available if your vehicle has been sold or junked. Be sure to remove your plates. Return plates to this office along with the date the vehicle was disposed. Disposal date determines your refund amount. Refunds for less that $10.00 are not issued.
- Vehicles up to seven (7) years of age require a damage disclosure statement; and, up to nine (9) years of age require an odometer statement.
- Vehicles may be stored. The vehicle must be currently registered, and registration and plates must be surrendered to the County Treasurer. There is no charge for storing a vehicle.
- Payment of a full year license fee is required to take a vehicle out of storage.
- Vehicles may be junked. Title, registration, and plates must be surrendered to the County Treasurer. A junking certificate will be issued. If the un-expired portion of the license fee is more than $10.00, a claim for refund may be applied for. When a vehicle has been junked, it can never be re-titled again. There is no cost for a junking certificate.
- Iowa law requires new residents to register their vehicle with the County Treasurer within 30 days from the date residency is established.
- New residents of Iowa must surrender the original out-of-state Certificate of Title and complete an Iowa application for Certificate of Title. All owners must sign the application. Call (712) 644-2144 for further assistance.
Last Updated: 31 October, 2013 Any problems with this page should be reported to the webmaster.